By default, shading is applied to alternate rows in an Excel 2007 table to make the data easier to read.
The alternate row shading will remain accurate even if you add or delete rows.
- Select the range of cells you want to format
- On the Home tab, in the Styles group, click Format as Table
- Under Light, Medium, or Dark, click the table style you want to use
- In the Format as Table dialog box, click OK.
Notice that the Banded Rows check box is selected by default in the Table Style Options group.
To apply shading to alternate columns instead of alternate rows, clear this check box and select Banded Columns
- If you want to convert the Excel table back to a regular range of cells, click anywhere in the table to display the tools necessary for converting the table back to a range of data
- On the Design tab, in the Tools group, click Convert to Range